Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Very Expensive Lesson Learned

I'm a very nice and generous person. I look out for my friends and family if and when they need help. I really dislike being taken advantage of and being lied to. Back in August of 2007 a friend of mine that I used to work with back in the day got laid off and he was struggling looking for a job. He finally found one, but he needed money to pay his rent, utilities, and get his car back from the repo guys. I hate seeing my friends struggle because I know how it feels to struggle. Getting back... So I agreed to help him out and I loaned him a good sum of money. He had told me that he would pay me back by the end of the year of 2007 or early 2008. I was cool with that. When that time came I wasn't too worried about it because I was busy. Summer came up I hit him up and he still had nothing for me. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I finally get hold of him and he tells me that he was going to pay me next week. I'm like cool and thank you. I hit me up last week and left a voicemail saying, " Hey could you at least give me a call and let me know what's up?"
Today I gave him a call and I got an unpleasant recording that I thought would never ever happen to me. His service in no longer in service or disconnected his line. This is no longer a friend of mine.

It's funny how money can change a relationship. People do fucked up shit when they can't just come out and be real with you anymore. I have learned an expensive lesson and I'll carry it with me forever and teach to others. When it comes to money and friends, I’ll choose the friendship.

This just brings me back to a quote I posted awhile back
"If you want to be remembered borrow some money. if you want to be forgotten lend some."

No comments: